Though a roof collapse can happen at any time of year, it is most likely occur during the winter as the result of heavy snowfall. To avoid the nightmare of having your roof collapse in the dead of winter, it is important to take care of your roof and ensure that it is in good enough condition to withstand the elements.
Signs You May Have a Roof Collapse
Major snowstorms are a primary cause of roof failure. One cubic foot of fluffy snow weights between 6 and 8 pounds. Wet, packed snow and ice weighs even more. When a major storm dumps a considerable amount of snow in a small window of time, it puts a lot of strain on your roof.
Snow-related roof collapses can occur with any type of roof. Roofs that are flat or have low slopes are most susceptible because they accumulate more participation.
A roof collapse generally isn’t something that happens in an instant, and there are usually several warning signs before it actually happens. If you notice any of these major warning signs, you need to have them addressed by a professional roofer immediately to avert disaster.
- Sagging of exterior shingles or interior ceiling
- Repeated or severe leaks
- Cracks in the exterior masonry
- Doors and windows that open on their own or are difficult to open
- Bends or deformities in roof supports, framing or structure
- Bent or bowed utility pipes or conduits at the ceiling
Preventing Roof Collapse and Spotting Potential Problems in a Timely Manner
Keeping up with routine is the first step in preventing roof collapse. Doing so also provides you with regular opportunities to inspect the condition of your roof and detect any problems before they lead to disaster. Maintaining your roof isn’t difficult. In fact, there are several steps any homeowner can take to keep their roof in good condition, including:
- Removing leaves, branches and other debris promptly
- Cleaning gutters, drains and downspouts regularly to get rid or leaves and dirt so precipitation can flow from the roof freely
- Removing excess snow following a major snowfall
- Having roof problems repaired promptly to prevent further damage
Roof Repair in Denver
At 1derful Roofing, we are here to help anytime you need roof repair in Denver. Whether your roof has already collapsed or you’re noticing signs that a major problem could be imminent, call us right away. Our Colorado roofers are highly trained, licensed, bonded and insured, and they are passionate about providing reliable roofing services throughout the Denver area. For service, please call 303-984-7663.